I went to Albuquerque expecting to spend my days fixing bad "r" sounds and teaching social skills as an SLP intern. I worked with an amazing SLP who taught me so much and treated me like a collegue, took me to lunch, and became a dear friend. I LOVED working with my kiddos! After a full day of playdoh pies, go-we-ha-has (gorillas), and predicting just what might happen if you did indeed Give a Mouse a Cookie, I would dash off to work and spend the rest of my day asserting myself against angry, hormonal, slightly (sometime clinically) psychotic teenagers. Somewhere in the midst of keeping me safe from the danger, making me laugh to relieve the stress, and hiding in the "attic" after work (my friend's car...so the 3 of us wouldn't get in trouble for chatting in the parking lot), Aaron fell in love with me. And I fell in love with him.
Our first date was a late night venture to IHOP after work for hot chocolate. Two nights later, we went to Village Inn. Then it was IHOP, again. We talked for hours, sometimes til dawn. Aaron says he knew from the
My crazy Mexican has gradually been trying to convince me that he's turning me into a Mexican, too. The day we went to meet his mother, I got a nervous and rushed crash course in Mexican etiquette. Turns out, I've been practicing Mexican etiquette all my life and didn't even realize it.
I spent Christmas Eve with Aaron's family and what an adventure that was! I'd been battling allergies all day and so was drugged up on Benedryl. Aaron's mom gave me an extra strength Benedryl when I got to the house and I spent the next few hours trying to keep up with an entirely spanish-speaking family through the haze induced by one single little pink pill. I also managed to pass the 4 Tamale test. Apparently, Aaron decided it would prove to the family that I was a good woman if I would eat the LARGE bowl of posole and the FOUR tamales he served me for dinner. Now, I'm a girl with an appetite but that was a LOT of food. I couldn't bring myself to waste the homemade food, so...I ate it all. And now I'm totally in with the extended family.
This past Valentine's Day, my crazy Mexican came to see his huera and we had a wonderful weekend.
La huera loca is the name some crazy Mexican gave me at a job I
worked at last fall and what I've learned is that was really
his way of saying, "I'm going to love you someday."



very nice, amanda. you're a storyteller for sure. i'll bet you're glad you took the time to get your blog rolling now that the night is late, huh? i'll see you soon. i'm way impressed...
ReplyDeleteYay for having a blog :)
ReplyDeleteSweet story!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute story, Amanda! I bet you're excited to finish Bennion and go home. And ditto Meghan's comment.
ReplyDeleteMANDA!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love you!!!
I am so glad you have a blog!!!
I miss you kiddo but i am so glad that you finally are with someone that you deserve....and that deserves you. We both(me and terry) whole-heartedly approve. Cant wait to see you again!!!