I did something unexpected this week. It wasn't unplanned, just happened a little sooner than planned. I adopted Lizzie.
Over a year ago, Aaron promised me that when I came back to the 505, we would look for a puppy. Some unforeseen events have kept me from having a puppy, but now that summer is nearer, we've started talking more seriously about it. Actually, Aaron conceded to looking for a puppy even though he prefers cats (and has one already). I'm definitely a dog person, but I've warmed up to the idea of having a cat--as long as it behaves like a dog :)
We started looking last weekend, but no luck.
Wednesday, I was at the mall and decided to just peruse the pet store and ended up falling in love with the sweetest black lab/terrier mix puppy. Next thing I knew, I was saying yes I'll take her, filling out forms and leaving the mall with a new puppy. I renamed her Lizzie, after Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice (one of my favorite books). Lizzie is incredibly affectionate and well-behaved with just enough puppy spunk. Her first night here, I tried leaving her to sleep in the kitchen and she whined and cried in the most forlorn, please love me sort of way. I opened the puppy gate and she immediately ran into my room, jumped on my bed, lay down and looked at me like "I promise I'll be good if I get to sleep here." And she was. Lizzie stayed snuggled up against my back or behind my knees or under my arm the whole night. She's has had a few accidents, but for the most part, she's learned to ask to go out. Her first full day here, she did pretty well. I came home to find everything in order and calm. However, I had noticed that she seemed a little wheezy the night before and the next day she started throwing up--and didn't stop until late Friday night. She had absolutely no interest in solid food, was extremely thirsty but couldn't keep water down. Poor baby! I called the vet to cash in my free visit card but the soonest she could get in was Saturday morning.
So I started and ended my Friday with puppy vomit. Lovely. I was concerned that I had just adopted a very lovable, very sick little puppy. It definitely seemed like more than just stress induced upset tummy. According to the vet, Lizze had symptoms of puppy Parvo (sp?) but it was unlikely since she's had the vaccine twice. So I sat and waited while they ran tests, gave her IV fluids for dehydration, etc. Ever heard the phrase, "That person has a stick up their butt?" I know have a visual of what that would entail. The vet explained that testing things from downstream tells you what's going on upstream. Fabulous. Oh, and then there was the point in the visit when they brought Lizzie out and said, "Ok, she's looking ready fine...well, except for the bump of fluids in her neck." What?! Apparently, the IV fluid was hanging out in her neck, waiting to make it to the rest of the body. Apparently, it was also ok to massage it out. Yeah, like I'm going to rub down a waterbed in my dog's neck. I have to give her food and water in 2 tablespoon increments all day and sneak her meds in doggie treats, but Lizzie is on the road to recovery from what turns out to be canine Staph infection. Awesome.
But! now that Lizzie is recovering, she is even more affectionate and adorable than the day I brought her home. She's been quick to learn "sit" and "lay down," and mostly stays out of trouble. Lizzie is great in the car, mostly ok with other dogs, loves people, and is pretty good on the leash. I got her a dog pillow, but she prefers to sleep in my basket of blankets...
She has a goofy personality, a sweet temperament, is obedient, smart, and follows me everywhere. And she loves Aaron. She and Scout (my hamster) seem to have an unspoken agreement to be uninterested in each other (except when Scout is organizing her seeds and bedding, which makes funny noises and Lizzie barks in protective concern). It's been a bit of a rocky start, but Lizzie is a good dog. I'm so happy to have a dog, again!



No comments:
Post a Comment