Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The early bird can have the worm...

There's nothing more ominous (or obnoxious) as a ticking clock when you're running late. Take this morning...

I finally bought a clock for my bathroom because I hoped it would help me discipline my time better in the mornings. Nevermind that I've fallen into the terrible habit of walking up 30 minutes before I'm supposed to leave in the mornings (and have fallen into an even worse habit of leaving 10-15 mins past an already tight departure time). At the very least, a ticking clock mocking me with "late. late. late" sixty times a minute should help, right? This morning, it seemed to be and I was rushing to the kitchen to grab breakfast/lunch...some sort of sustanance...with literally 2 mins max to leave. I grabbed my Costco version of Slimfast, an extra for lunch, my purse, my book bag, and headed for the door. Grab keys, ID badge....is it cold out in the mornings? Maybe I need I jacket, I thought. Grabbed it, threw it over my shoulder....and, forgetting that I had already opened the can, somehow managed to drench my entryway in chocolate diet drink. Eww. It splashed a diagonal of chocolate from 4 ft high in one corner, down across to the floor, then jumped up and coated the front door. Oh, and don't forget the mirror and all behind the coats and purses I have hanging on pegs. How it missed the actual coats and purses and things, I'll never understand...but thank goodness! I stood there in a bit of shock, like I had just walked in on a scene in a slasher movie...(the victim would have of course been a chocolate cow, a thin chocolate cow). I didn't know I was so violent when pressed for time.

I got to work, late of course, and was hurrying to get to my room when the 1st bell rang. And, of course, today of all days, the principal happened to have a front row seat to my parade of tardiness...the late part hasn't been so unusual the past few weeks, but I can usually make it under the radar.

If being late is tardy, then is being repeatedly late re-tardy? Today, it felt like it. This night owl has got to find a way to get the extra 30 mins of snooze on the other end of the mi-mis.

2 comments:

  1. Um... is this my life or yours?? Sounds like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always leaving for school at the last minute as well! Glad to know I'm not the only one :) (Sorry about the chocolate mess though!)

    ReplyDelete